A formal Public Meeting was held in Bishopstoke on 1st March 1912 to discuss the proposal of setting up a Working Mens Club. It was decided by a large majority attending the meeting to form a Club for which Members would pay 2 shillings a year.
The Bishopstoke Social Club first opened its doors for official business on 2nd September 1912. The Club had been formed by a group of local men, mainly railway workers .
The Club was based in the grounds of 2 houses known as The Hollies in Spring Lane, Bishopstoke. The first appointed Secretary was Mr H A Cook and within the first year membership had grown to 560 men. Family involvement was, and still is, an important feature of the Club’s activities and as early as 1919 the first Annual Members Outing headed off to Cheddar Caves. This annual event continues to exist and apart from the War Years has taken members to various locations since 1919.
Indoor facilities have included darts, dominoes and snooker and teams have been formed for these events.
In 1927 the Club purchased two adjoining houses in Scotter Road which allowed the establishment of a Club Garden (now mainly a car park) where summer concerts, fruit and vegetable shows were held. In the mid 1990’s the Club purchased a third adjoining property in Scotter Road.
Since 1980 the Club has had a football team, at times playing in the top flight of County Football, and continues to play today in the Drew Smith Southampton League.
The Club has recognised the needs of Local Charities and regular donations have been made to Mount Hospital, Guide Dogs for the Blind and the Countess of Mountbatten Hospice.
As we are in a new Millennium Club Membership continues to be over 1000. It is an important part of the Local Community with generations of families having been involved. It is perceived to be the premier club in the area with Members having a wide range of facilities.